Kitting Out Your Boat for Expeditions…

• While I am only a couple of months into owning my Angus SRC, I already have one eye on getting out a bit further afield next year (and beyond), so would be interested to hear the thoughts of other more experienced hands on how best to "kit out" for longer passages in such a compact, yet multi-functional boat.

From core "safety" gear to tools & spares, as well as electronics, provisioning and anything to improve the comfort, I'd love to hear others tips - or see pics of any gear, or nifty ways to stow & use!

If anyone knows of a reasonably priced Reverse a rowing Compass, I'd also be interested to hear - being more used to facing forwards, this isn't something I have had to contend with before...

• Here are a few of my favourite bits of gear for long distance touring:

1) Navigation: My favourite way to navigate is using Navionics.  When accuracy is important, I like to leave the phone permanently on in a holder.  I ended up purchasing a waterproof Android phone with extra large batteries ($150) just for boating stuff.  In settings you can set the screen to stay on permanently.  A waterproof phone is much better than a regular phone in a waterproof container.

2) Bedding: I'm a big fan of polyester sleeping bags over down.  When wet, polyester will keep you way warmer. It's also more comfortable because it doesn't compress as much, so provides better padding underneath.  The disadvantages of polyester (heavier and bulkier) don't matter too much in a boat.  I always make sure to have a good Thermarest-style sleeping mat and a comfortable pillow.

3) Safety: VHF radio, First Aid Kit, phone, lights, etc.  Once again, a waterproof phone is a good backup for summoning help in rough conditions.

4) Anchor system.  Having a small lightweight anchoring system is essential.  You want it to be as light as possible, while effective.  Small Danforth anchors are one of the best for holding power for weight, though they can have issues in certain conditions.  I put a short length of chain on it, to get the pull parallel to ground, and then lightwegiht line for the rest.  The rope does not need to be thick and heavy, as the strain taken by the anchor rode is quite modest.

• Kitting out your boat for expeditions involves careful planning to ensure you have the necessary equipment and supplies for a safe and enjoyable journey. Whether you're planning a short day trip or a more extended expedition,

Remember to check and comply with local regulations and requirements for Inflatable boat in Dubai and camping in the areas you plan to visit. Regularly inspect and maintain your boat and equipment to ensure everything is in good working order before embarking on an expedition.