RowCruiser, sailing version

• This is the sailing version.  It has features that make it more practical in some ways than the original design.  I built it in 2020-21 as a Covid project and have enjoyed overnight outings on Puget Sound, but I am not able to use it often enough now to justify keeping it.

Send an email and I can send photos.

Features beyond what is in the kit and instructions:

Sails are rigged with halyards, allowing you to douse them quickly.  Ask me why I did this!  There is also a canopy for rain that is partly suspended by the main halyard.

Seat rails are inset into the seats, allowing more room for legs while rowing and maneuvering about the boat

Custom-made seat of plywood and Alaskan yellow cedar – very comfortable!

Skids on the bottom of the hull for beaching, to protect the hull from rocks, barnacles etc. on the beach.  They are bare yellow cedar and will likely last the life of the boat.  I shaped them carefully so they add little resistance when moving through the water.

Rudder can be raised and lowered by lines from the cockpit

Main hatch and aft hatch have metal hardware and are quickly secured

Daggerboard and rudder are breadboarded yellow cedar

Main hatch has extra structural reinforcement

Akas have fiberglass along the bottom for extra strength

Amas attach to akas with threaded rods and wingnuts, along with straps

Rigger arm made of center-cut fir and varnished

Items included with purchase are a dolly for rolling the boat on land on smooth surfaces, anchor with 6 feet of chain and line, and 3 inflatable beach rollers.  I do not have a trailer for it.

Offered for $12,000.  All of the materials, sail modifications, and so on totalled $7400 several years ago (it would all be more like $8000 now).  I didn’t keep careful track, but I’m sure it took me about 300 hours to build it.  If you have experience building boats, it would likely take at least 200 hours to build.  If you are considering building it yourself instead, think about what your time is worth when making an offer. 

If you wish to purchase it, I can provide all the instruction you need to put it together and use it, and much more.  I can show you how to use one of the inflatable rollers as a fender for docking.  If you row but have little sailing experience, I can give you a sailing lesson.  I would be happy to talk about my experiences sailing on Puget Sound.

Loren Kelley

253-376-4545

kelleypiano@nventure.com

• @Loren Kelley do add some photos here - even for those of us across the pond and not looking to buy, it is always nice to see how other owners have "tweaked" their own boats. 

Always something new to be learned...