Oar Gearing - possible technique - ergonomics

• Tom Clarke (http://theoarcruising.blogspot.com/search/label/Gearing) suggests....

"Add a small jam cleat (Duckworks Jam Cleat 'SD-002040') and 3 feet of 1/8 non-stretch line as shown the photo below. Tie a tight loop around the oar loom just outboard of the cleat, wrap the standing part of the line around the oar lock and back to the jam cleat. This provides infinite and quick adjustment"

...and he illustrates with a lovely photo.

Hello All,

When I (eventually) launch my Expedition I will be on a body of water with 4kts tides and persistent Atlantic wind and swell. I may find myself sculling on a prolonged 'tack' with a persistent force (wind/tide/swell) pushing on me from one side. 

Q1 - Should I consider setting the oars to two different gearings?

Q2 - Is the setup above a workable solution? (Maybe re-work the idea so the jam cleat is inboard of the oar gate?)

Q3 - Will the asymmetric ergonomics lead to so much injury it just won’t be worth it?

All advice, even novice advice, will much appreciated,

Kind Regards,

Tony

• Hello Tony,

If you were to have two different "gears", I think the easiest way to do it would be to put two sets of buttons on the oar sleeve.  The oar you're looking at in the image above is for fixed seat rowing.  For sculling oars, they usually have a sleeve and a separate button (you can see more on this page: https://angusrowboats.com/blogs/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-sculling-oars), which makes it easier to create two rowing positions along the sleeve.  To change from one to another, you would just lift the oar out of the lock and then place it in another position. 

Overall, however, the best way to deal with the situations you describe is simply time in the saddle.  Sliding seat rowing can seem very awkward and difficult at first.  Even more so when conditions are rough.  Don't be discouraged, though.  It's just like windsurfing - no one expects to be fluid and smooth first time out wind surfing.  It takes months to become fully proficient, and even then you will still continue to improve.  Work your way in gently, and build up your experience in larger waves and windy conditions.  Eventually, it will become natural, and you'll be able to negotiate the more challenging waters.  

Good luck with that!!