A smaller sailing rower?

• This isn't a product question or request—I'm just curious if this idea seems reasonable. I'm imagining a smaller version of the Sailing Rowcruiser, but with a narrow beam (and no cabin).

I'm imagining a main hull similar to that of the Expedition rower, but even more narrow. (Closer a rowing shell—maybe 24"?) The main hull alone would be less stable in open water, but adding amas/akas would bring back that stability. And since it wouldn't have a cabin, maybe a sleeping platform could be deployed on the akas.

Main motiviation would be to reduce the weight and beam for easier transportation and speed.

But my main concern is: if the main hull is less stable, maybe relying on the amas for that stability would slow it down and remove the benefits of a narrow beam? I'm not sure, and I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on that.

• I like the overall concept, but what you're describing as the main hull is quite similar to the Cambridge Racer, which is a failry high volume 24' rowing shell.  I do like the idea of a rowing shell with amas, and feel something like that could revolutionize the ability for perforance shells to do coastal rowing (and feats like R2AK).

I think the pinnacle concept would be to have folding or detatchable akas - you could feasibly make the amas and akas quite light - 2-4 lbs each (they don't need to be big if you're not sailing).  When the weather is calm you could lift them, and the only penalty would be the slight bit of weight.  When the weather is rougher, or you want to relax and eat your lunch, you would then bring the amas down.  Experimentation would reveal what is the ideal height to have the amas above the water (as in just touhing, or a couple of inches above).  Perhaps you might find different heights are optimal for different sea states.

With our final question - would the amas slow it down and remove the benefits of a narrow beam.  This might be the case when the amas are in the water, but when they are lifted free of the water, you would be faster.  As mentioned above, the only penalty in this orientation is weight (and perhaps a bit more wind resistance in headwinds), which would still be less than a full sized boat.