Issue with CNC Plans for Oxford Wherry

• Hi, 

as I'm based in Poland I've decided to build oxford wherry with digital plans. Hull panels have been cut at CNC mill according to the attached DXF file and bulkheads with jigsaw based on the plotted printouts. 

As I've stiched the hull panels together there is kind of big gap between panel 1 and 2 at the stern and bow.  Transom at the panel 2 is also not really fitting. Is also nothing I could manage to fill with very thick epoxy though. I see from other posts that thicker copper wire should be used. I've noticed snapping wires as well. I will move to 16 gauge as I have 1-2 mm gaps in some places (cnc milled panels have tiny play when put together - at the end edge it can be up to 5-mm difference/mismatch - so I've glued panels one above another with waxed paper between to match them eqal).

Transom in the panel 2 section seems to be way off (no way to match it - again thick epoxy will solve the issue. 

More frustrating is the thing that when I tried put the bulkheads in place, everything was couple of centimeters off towards the bow. I needed to find the matching place empirically. As I've measured the length of hull, it came out it is 468 cm of lenght. According to the plan it should be 15'10'' which ist about 482cm or so. I have double checked the dxf panels in CAD Software and they were milled as in the file. 

As I want to have a sliding rigger built in, the guide on the web site will not work as the placement will be off.  Is there any way to calculate it empirically. On this web site there was an information that for more performance the sliding seat panel can be cut to to 6'' to make but in the digital plan the side panel height is already 5,75''. 

In the digital plans I coulnd't find any information abyout the gunwales dimentions. 5/8'' for the height and 7/8'' for width would work right?

• Hello Piotr.  It's been quite a few years since I last built the Oxford Wherry, so I don't recall how much of a gap is formed between the panels in the stern. The reason for the gap is the complex shape being created tortures the plywood slightly, meaning there is resistance the manipulation.  Looking at your picture, I would recommend applying more closting force.  There is a delicate art to cinching wire ties tight - don't just twist them, but pull them outwards as hard as possible with pliers and then twist.  Moving the pliers inwards slightly as you twist will provide maxium effect.  Other strategies can be used, such as having an assistant pushing the pieces together while you secure them with the wires.

When meauring the location of where the bulkheads are situated, measure straight back from the tip of the bow and measure to a straight edge running across from the gunwales, perpendicular to the boat's axis.  This will mark the postion of th top tips of the bulkheads.

Yes, 5/8" x 7/8" are optimal dimesnions for the gunwales.  It can vary a bit from this depending on the availability of wood. 

• I will give it a try. I've ordered thicker wire as the 18 gauge started to snap. 

as of toher things could you please check for possible mismatch between cnc dxf file and the manual in current version? just for the future customers as I have already my stiching part already almost behind me.

In case you confirm the mismatch could you please suggest where should i put the mounting point for sliding seat and outrigger according to cnc file based hull - shorter for about 14cm? as this is ca. 3% less will it work to reduce the distance of 65' to 63'?

• Hopefully the thicker wire makes a difference.  Remember, for cinching to pull out as hard as you can with the pliers and then twist.  You'll get more than twice the cinching power of twising alone.  

I"m travelling right now, but will double confirm the files when I get back in the office later this week.  All the best with that.

• @Piotr Fedoruk hi Piotr were you able to succeed? How did the process go for you?