Prepearing for expeditions

• Hi there, I'm planning to do an expedition on the aegean coast of Turkey that will last approximately 12 days. It will be my first expedition on a rowboat while I do have good experience on a sailboat. I plan to do the expedition on your expedition rowboat plans. I have a route planned and everything but I really cant approximate my daily milage. I reckon I'll have to train and have a concept 2 rower in my gym. What would be the best drag factor or damping setting on a concept 2 rower to best simulate the characteristics of an expedition rowboat? Also do you recommend any other types of cardio to train? How should I plan how many kilometers a day I should row in the expedition? Would you have any suggestions or tips for a first time expedition?

• Hello Asier,
    That sounds like a beautiful region you will be exploring in Turkey.  It's hard to say how far you will be able to go each day - it all depends on your fitness level, level of experience, weather conditions, etc.  A nice relaxing pace in decent weather conditions would be about 20-30 km a day.  If you really want to push it, and you are fit and experienced you could go as far as 80 km/day (that's the pace I did in an Expedition going around Vancouver Island, out to break the speed record).  Concept2 rowers are an excellent way to train, but it is still good to get time on the water to get more comfortable in the bigger waves.  Rowing in rough water is very difficult at first, but eventually, with enough time becomes second nature.  The resistance of the rowboat will change depending on wind conditions, but overall, I would suggest having the drag damper on the rower close to the upper end (maximum drag).  I would say the most important thing for your first expedition  to be flexible with the distances you travel.  If things are going well, you can go further, if not, you can always pull in early.  And it's important not to go too hard at the beginning, instead allowing your body to build calluses and strengthen muscles, and slowly increase the kilometers as you feel comfortable.  Good luck with that!  I'd love to see some pics - you'll be passing through some gorgeous coastal landscapes!