AKA fitting

• I made the forward mounting blocks per the figure 5.5 (page 50 of manual), 2" x 6," and was dry fitting everthing together and found that when placed on the mounting blocks the aka touches the deck in the midline, as if the bend in the aka is not enough. I needed to add a lot of "mounting plates" (spacers) to get the aka high enough, see photo, so it does not touch the deck. Should I just make new mounting blocks, say 3" high, instead of the 2" specified? 

Is having the aka curvature less than it should be going to be a problem? I am concerned that it might influence how the amas ride on the water, making the forward part of the ama hull ride higher than the aft part, or am I obsessing overmuch?

• Even with all the mouting plates, the aka just clears the deck in the midline

• Hello Joseph,

Yes, it looks like it should be okay.  It seems like you're following directions correctly where the thickness of the upper "mounting plates" (the blocks affixed to the akas) are fine tuned to accommodate for any assymetry in the curvature of the aka and to clear the deck.  The Aka should almost touch the deck when the mounting plate thickness has been optimized.  The height of the rear akas can be tweaked as well to ensure an optimal angle for the amas is achieved.