Skegs instead of daggerboard

• I am in the early stage of planning, but I am really thinking the RowCruiser sailing version would be great for my needs, instead of the small sluggish sailboat that I have. I do love to overnight in it, usually alone.

Anyways, this may be a stupid question, has anyone requested or has there been any thoughts of using either one major skeg with some smaller one instead of using a daggerboard?

I dont like daggerboards as grounding can cause a lot of damage (ask me how I know). Generally I prefer centerboards for that reason. However, I was thinking, if not generally wanting to beat upwind too frequently, would small skeg(s) be a possibility?  It would also protect somewhat when beaching, and save precious cabin space, tho the trailer design might be impacted.

Was it looked at when the sailing version was designed? Perhaps there's a good reason why this would not work.

Thanks 

#sailing-rowcruiser

• Hi Steve,  Yes, the sailing rowcruiser is a a fun versatile boat.  I also really enjoy just using the central hull as a rowing boat - as a quick and easy way to get out onto the water.  Overall, a skeg wouldn't be ideal as you simply wouldn't get enough lateral resistance to maintain a decent course, apart from going downwind.  An alterntive could be creating a centerboard in the cockpit.  I know of one builder who did that with good results.  Leeboards could be a possibility too.