Sailing RowCruiser: Practicalities of Landing


  • The Sailing RowCruiser is tempting, but I'm concerned about getting the boat on and off land. Imagine the following scenario. The tidal range is 20 feet, with a gradual seabed so that the high and low tide points are 100 yards apart. The approach is goopy mud with boulders throughout the high tide/land boundary. That's an extreme case, though hardly rare, and situations in which you want to get your boat up above high tide are common. Over the course of a long trip, you'd want to do this numerous times, without causing serious damage to the boat. Unlike a kayak, or even the Expedition Rowboat, the Sailing RowCruiser is too heavy to manhandle. Yes, the great advantage is that you can always anchor and sleep on the boat, but at some point I would start to feel trapped on such a small boat if I couldn't walk around on land.

    Granted, all boats are a compromise, and living with the advantages and disadvantages of any particular boat is part of the game. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for how to make it easier for a single person to land and launch the boat in difficult scenarios. Are there wheeled dolly type solutions that have been tested and work well? The width of the amas make anything like that feel dodgy, but maybe I'm wrong. It now occurs to me that the amas could be an advantage if wheels were placed under them, giving the dolly a wider and more stable stance.



Please login to reply to this topic!